Everyone at Ghost is an engineer, including our design team. We’re looking for designers who are as comfortable working in HTML/CSS as they are in Figma. This is a broad role which is about leading design efforts in lots of different areas, but particularly around our website, brand and our public facing themes. So we’re looking for people with extensive experience building beautiful, functional websites.
There’s no “hand-off” process at Ghost, all designers deliver their own creations and are responsible to the full spectrum of tasks from ideation, to front-end development, and performance analysis.
- Creation of websites, landing pages, themes, email templates, checkout flows, billing UI. Designing and building many of our most public facing properties. The visual voice of the company.
- Working with design and marketing teams to define, evolve, and maintain Ghost’s brand identity across all marketing and product touch points.
- Working with the marketing/business team on projects which are directly related to growing the business and creating user-facing content.
- We work on cross-functional product teams of 2-5 people, usually one designer and a few developers.
- Lots of freedom to take control of your process, iterating and learning what works (and what doesn’t), and putting your work into production. There’s a lot of opportunity for professional growth here, as the team expands.
- Communicating effectively with stakeholders when presenting your work and clearly articulating your design rationale
- Managing multiple projects, while setting appropriate expectations and meeting realistic deadlines
- Very comfortable with code. Ghost is a software company, and everyone here codes in one way or another. You’ll need to be comfortable with coding your designs in modern HTML & CSS.
- Fiercely independent. All teams at Ghost operate fairly autonomously, and all team members are responsible for helping make decisions about what needs to be done. You’ll need to be comfortable ideating, prototyping, testing and delivering designs without someone standing over your shoulder telling you what to do.
- Meticulous about style. Despite frequent character assassination amongst UX professionals, aesthetic style matters a great deal. We don’t A/B test 50 shades of blue here to determine what converts best, we care about making beautiful things which we love.
- Humble but opinionated. We like smart people who have lots of ideas, yet are happy to discard their former opinions whenever a better way of doing things presents itself.
- A clear communicator. Good design is good communication, and as a remote team which communicates almost exclusively through writing — concise, written communication is absolutely essential to this role.
- An active collaborator. We look for people who actively want critical feedback on their work early and often, and who get a kick out of refining and pushing what they do as a collaborative process because it creates a better end result. No design heroes.
- Competitive salary
We pay well at market rates reflecting both location and experience
- Fully remote work
Work from anywhere in the world, or travel continuously if that’s your thing. Everything we do is online. As long as you have wi-fi, you’re all set.
- All the tech you need
We’ll pay for whatever hardware and software you need to work and make sure you’re regularly upgraded to the latest versions.
- Office costs covered
Whether you prefer a home office or a co-working space, we’ll help pay for it.
- Personal development
An annual budget for books, courses, conferences and travel expenses.
- Twice annual international team retreats
Every 6 months we get the whole crew together for a week away. The last few trips have taken us to Dubai, Thailand, Austria & Egypt.
- 3 day weekends, all year long
We close the office on the last Friday of every single month. Enjoy!
- Unlimited paid vacation*
*Minimum 2 weeks per year, if you don’t take it yourself, we kick you out of the office in December until the new year rolls around.
- Paid parental leave
When the time comes to welcome a new member of the family, we offer 3 months fully paid parental leave.
- Guaranteed pay-reviews
Everyone at Ghost receives annual pay reviews to update their salary for market rate changes and inflation.
- Dog friendly office
Just kidding we literally don’t have an office – but apparently tech companies think is an important detail to put on job descriptions and we didn’t want to feel left out. So, um. Feel free to work with your dog.
To apply for this job please visit careers.ghost.org.