We’re on a mission to create the world’s best publishing technology for modern creators and publishers. Ghost is a successful startup, but it’s also a non-profit organisation, because we’re building an independent business for the long run.
Ghost is a full stack web application for running independent publications. It’s one of the most popular modern open source projects in the world, and is used in production by tens of thousands of websites and companies.
As the company grows, we’re looking for experienced content strategists to work with us on a freelance basis and write about the emerging market of subscription commerce, premium newsletters, the passion economy and new business models for journalism.
We’re primarily looking for detailed guides and tutorials to help modern creators and publishers succeed in building businesses around their content. This could include a diverse range of subjects such as:
- Modern strategies to build (and grow) an audience on different platforms
- Subscription business economics for publishers. Much has been written about the SaaS model, but how does this translate to creators and publishers?
- Growth/success stories and re-usable strategies from creators who have done well with membership and subscription businesses
Importantly, we look for content which is original (Googling it doesn’t reveal that many people have already written the same thing) and actionable, so people should be able to learn or accomplish something once they’ve read it.
Here’s an example of a post which has resonated strongly with our audience, which touches on several of these subjects:
We’re looking to work with people who have…
- Strong English-language writing and editing skills
- Comfortable publishing 2,000+ word original pieces
- Able to do independent SEO research for each post
- Comfortable working with an editor and revising to a deadline
- Creators, membership businesses, subscription commerce
- Working remotely, and/or writing about software
- Knowledge of B2B/B2C SaaS and a hunger to learn more
- Advanced technical SEO skills
- Working with an editor previously
Most commissions for content are paid at a flat rate of $300.
For select detailed, in-depth pieces we pay $400, agreed in advance. Updates to old content are paid at $75-150 depending on the amount of work involved.
To apply for this job please visit careers.ghost.org.