Connect apps and automate workflows
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to lead one of growing engineering teams at Zapier. Interested in helping build the tool for partners and developers that powers automation for millions of professionals? Then read on…
You are an effective team builder. You’ve managed Engineering teams for at least two years. You know how to hire, train, and develop engineers from all backgrounds. You understand the benefits of building a diverse and inclusive engineering team. You may not have hired or managed hundreds of people before, but you have hired, trained, and managed at least a few engineers before.
You have excellent communication skills. You regularly work with engineers and other stakeholders from various disciplines, balancing engineering concerns, such as technical debt and architectural direction, with customer and user concerns. Ideally, you find solutions that address both the team and user needs but if not, help build understanding around difficult decisions.
You are a skilled engineering leader. You’ve got a background in leading a team of Backend Engineers working in our stack (Python, Django or React, ES6 or Node.js, etc.). You’ll guide and challenge your team on architectural and technical implementation plans and decisions by ensuring they have the right technical context.
You have worked in a service-based architecture. You understand the benefits and drawbacks of different architectural models. Bonus if you’ve helped a team or organization transition from a monolithic to services-based architecture.
You’re comfortable building and executing your team’s roadmap. While this role will work cross-functionally with our Architecture and other engineering teams, you will drive the vision and strategy with your team. Bonus if you’ve had experience acting as a PM or TPM for an engineering team.
You’re adaptable. You’ve been in fast growing companies and know how to build, change, and adapt to the needs of a company as it grows.
Zapier is a small, fast-growing, and remote-first company, so you’ll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you’ll probably do:
- Work closely with your enginees to create and develop a high-performing team that tackles user problems and solutions.
- Build and lead the strategy and roadmap for our App Platform team and partner closely with the architecture team to help migrate a critical component of our product to a services architecture.
- Develop effective ways to communicate, monitor, and lead your team through weekly one-on-one and team meetings.
- Keep the leadership team informed on your team’s progress via one-on-one meetings, regular update posts, and regular business reviews.
- Build rapport with each member of the engineering team and support them through coaching and mentorship to help level up their skills.
- Learn and spread technical knowledge relevant to your team throughout Zapier — moving knowledge to documentation where appropriate.
- Ensure the team has the right context to make good technical implementation and architectural decisions.
- Collaborate across various disciplines (other Engineering Managers, Product Managers, Designers, Researchers) to help set technical roadmaps that will achieve business goals through engineering best practices.
- Actively recruit, onboard, and grow new engineers at Zapier. This might involve tweaking the skills portions of interviews or writing better documentation.
- As part of our All Hands Support initiative, help customers have the best experience with Zapier as possible.
- Competitive salary (we don’t use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We’ll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn’t a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Travel of 5% – 10% for company retreats which rotate to various cities throughout North America
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you’ll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
To apply for this job please visit zapier.com.