Connect apps and automate workflows
We’re looking for an experienced Data Engineering Manager to join the data team at Zapier. Interested in helping grow a product that helps the world automate their work so they can get back to living? Then read on…
- You are an effective team builder. This isn’t your first rodeo. You know how to hire, train, and develop engineers from all backgrounds. You understand the benefits of building a diverse and inclusive engineering team and leading them in an equitable way. You may not have hired or managed hundreds of people before, but you have hired, trained, and managed at least a few employees before.
- You are a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication.
- You have experience managing technical data teams. You have kept things focused on execution, data correctness, and data timeliness on top of a constantly evolving data stack.
- You can communicate about technical topics without unnecessary jargon. You translate unfamiliar machine learning and data governance concepts into approachable ones for teammates with less experience working with data.
- You appreciate our team’s values of eagerness to collaborate with teammates from any function of the organization or with any level of data knowledge, iterating over your deliverables, and being curious.
- You understand that the perfect is the enemy of the good and are able to default to action by shipping MVP and iterating as needed to get towards better solutions.
- You have experience in SQL: You’ve used written complex SQL queries that join across data from multiple systems, matching them up even when there was not a straightforward way to join the tables. You’ve designed tables with an eye towards ease of use and high performance. You’ve documented schemas and created data dictionaries.
- You have experience with at least one of the following:
- Machine learning. You’ve built systems that collected data from user behavior and other data collected about them. You have then leveraged this data though ML and statistics to categorize users, recommend choices to or score them on their propensity to perform subsequent actions.
- Data Governance. You have provided stewardship of data ownership, schema, defined standards for data modeling, storage, and consumption and created processes and tools that enforce those standards.
- Technical Product Management. You can speak to why the systems you’re building exist and foster a collaborative vision between our users and the team.
Zapier is a startup, so you’ll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. Here are some things you’ll get a taste of:
- Develop effective ways to communicate, monitor, and lead your team through weekly one-on-one’s and team meetings.
- Work closely with Data Engineering, Decision Science and product teams to create teams that deliver technical solutions and tools to our internal customers.
- Help set technical roadmaps that will help Data Products and Data Governance and achieve their goals.
- Keep Data Operations management informed on your team’s progress in one-on-ones, update posts, and regular team hangouts.
- Participate in code reviews, learning and spreading technical knowledge throughout all of engineering, data and otherwise, moving knowledge to documentation where appropriate.
- Occasionally dive into the code; fixing bugs, smoothing edges — sometimes even spiking out small proofs of concept.
- Actively recruit, onboard, and train new hires at Zapier. This might involve tweaking the skills portions of interviews or writing better documentation.
- Ensure the members of Data Ops are pulling in the same direction while also making sure we’re leveraging their diverse skillset
- As a part of Zapier’s all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
- Competitive salary (we pay based on the norms of your country)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- 2+ annual company retreats to awesome places (these are on hold right now until it’s safe for all of us to travel)
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We’ll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn’t a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you’ll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
To apply for this job please visit zapier.com.