Blockstack is software for a user-owned internet. It’s the easiest way to build decentralized apps that can scale. Core protocols for Blockstack are developed as open-source and there are 400+ independent apps on the network. Blockstack PBC is a leading entity within the Stacks Ecosystem, advancing the initial research and development of the Stacks Blockchain and developer tools for decentralized applications. The mission of the open-source community and broader ecosystem is to provide software for a user owned internet that returns online data ownership to developers and consumers.
Blockstack PBC was founded in 2013 and is headquartered in New York City with employees and contractors in Canada, Europe, and Asia, Blockstack PBC is funded and backed by more than $75 million from Union Square Ventures, Y Combinator, Lux Capital, Winklevoss Capital, Naval Ravikant, and many more. More info here
Blockstack PBC is looking for passionate, mission-aligned engineers to work on blockstack-core
: the open-source reference implementation of Blockstack’s blockchain software. This role is ideal for engineers with expertise in blockchains, distributed systems or compilers, an eye for security in protocol design and a high-bar for code quality.
• Contribute to the development, maintenance, and testing of the Stacks blockchain. The Stacks blockchain is under active development, and as part of your role, you will be tasked with designing new features, improving the performance and reliability of the blockchain, and helping ensure that the Stacks blockchain can serve as a reliable, secure, and performant foundation for the entire Blockstack ecosystem.
• Implement rigorous and thorough monitoring and testing practices to meet the security and performance requirements of the Stacks blockchain
• Design and implement blockchain supporting tools and utilities(e.g., CLI client, tools for exploring the blockchain, monitoring, benchmarking or debugging tools)
• Collaborate with other teams on new product features that have a dependency on the Stacks blockchain(e.g. developer tooling, UX for transaction signing, 3rd party integrations etc)
• 2-4 years of hands on experience in a production environment with one or more of: public blockchains; consensus protocols; large-scale distributed systems; applied cryptography; compilers; any other equivalent / adjacent technology
• Experience working on and designing tests for long-running projects
• Experience testing distributed systems for behaviors in the presence of faults, network partitions, and network delays
• Excellent communication and collaboration skills
• Working knowledge of the limitations and complexities involved in peer-to-peer systems
• Working knowledge of programming language interpreters, compilers, and static analysis
• Experience with designing, implementing, and benchmarking highly performant programs.
• Experience working on a large, complex, distributed system such as a distributed database, cluster controllers, etc.
• Experience working on open-source projects
• Experience collaborating on a distributed team
• Company equity and Stacks(STX) tokens–STX is the native cryptocurrency of the Blockstack network
• Remote workers can expense co-working spaces
• An annual $1,200 budget for learning and development stipend
• $1000 per year of charity donation matching to an organization of your choosing
• Daily lunch (even if you’re remote!)
• Flexible vacation policy
• Family-Friendly health benefits
• Free life and disability insurance
• Health and dependent care (FSA)
• Up to 16 weeks of paid parental leave
• Pre-tax commuter benefits
• 401k with 3% match
• Your choice of technical setup and equipment